Here's a recipe for creamy coconut squash soup:
- 1 medium sized butternut (or other) squash, peeled and cut into about ½ inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 3/4 cups + 1 Tbsp vegetable broth
- 6 oz canned coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- salt & white pepper to taste
Heat 1 Tbsp broth in medium soup pot. Healthy Saute onion in broth over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add garlic, ginger, and continue to sauté for another minute. Add turmeric, curry powder, and mix well. Add squash and broth, and mix. Bring to a boil on high heat. Once it comes to a boil reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered until squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
Place in blender and blend with coconut milk. Make sure you blend in batches filling blender only half full. (Start on low speed, so you don't have a hot blender accident!) Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Thin with a little broth if needed. Season to taste with sea salt and white pepper. Rewarm, and add cilantro.